Photograph couresty of cnb.co.uk Ltd
History of Golf on The Green
Newton Green Golf club was founded as a 9-hole common land course in 1907. It is one of the oldest golf clubs in Suffolk. The common land area now holds 8 holes for the 18 hole course plus a spare hole which is maintained for the villagers 9 hole membership rights, practise, and as an emergency hole when any large scale work is undertaken on the course. These are challenging golf holes, where patience and tidy golf will reap rewards. The old area of the course is on the Green, which is rented to the Golf Club by Newton Green Trust.
Villagers Membership Rights to play 9 holes on The Green
Villager membership entitles a permanent resident of Newton to become a member of the Golf Club albeit with limited rights as stated in Club rule 5c: "Village members are restricted to playing golf on the Village Green (Hole 1 and Holes 12-18) and shall not be eligible to use the facilities of the Clubhouse":
To register as a Villager Member, a resident must complete an application form, which is available from the Secretary's Office, and provide proof of residency. As with all other members, the resident must register annually; no later than 1st April.
Secretary Ben Tawell 01787 377217