Newton Village Hall
Built as the Village School in 1835, the Hall is owned and administered under trust by the Village Hall Management Committee.The history of the Hall is as follows: 1935 Built as a school, financed by public subscription, on land “borrowed” from the village green.
1938 Village school closed and the building used as the village hall.
1943 Diocesan Trustees appointed, followed by prolonged negotiations to claim village ownership of the hall.
1948 Diocesan Board and Parish Council sign agreement on conditions of use of the hall.
1957 Diocesan Board sign conveyance selling the hall and land to the Parish Council for £550, again paid for by public subscription! Renovation work supervised by an ad-hoc committee of interested villagers, chaired by Mr. Basil Taylor.
1961 The ad-hoc committee replaced by a management committee with responsibility for the day-to-day running and letting of the hall.